On February 14, around the year 270A.D., Rome was in the days of Emperor Claudius II(the Cruel). The emperor had to maintain a strong army, but was having a difficult time getting soldiers to join his military. He believed that Roman men were unwilling to join the army because of their strong attachment to their wives, so to get rid of the problem, Claudius banned all marriages in Rome. But St. Valentine, realizing the injustice and started to help to perform marriages for young lovers in secret.
Boston tea party occurred on December 16, 1773. It was a protest for decreasing the taxes. American colonists, frustrated and angry at Britain dumped 342 chests of tea, imported by the British into the harbor. In the 1760s Britain had some depts to pay, so the British Parliament imposed a series of taxes on American colonists. So on March 5, 1770, a street brawl happened in Boston between American colonists and British soldiers. Eventually, Britain repealed the taxes it had imposed on the colonists except for the tea tax. Then, in 1773 Britain decided to make British East India Company sell the tea with really cheap so colonists would buy it, but the colonists continued to rail against the tea tax. They threw 342 chests of tea into the water, which took them nearly three hours.
One morning, Amber woke up early. The sun was shining and the birds were singing. Amber was very excited because it was the day of the big tennis match. Amber went downstairs and into the kitchen, where her father was having breakfast. ‘Morning, Amber. Today’s the day!’ he said. Amber smiled nervously, ‘Don’t worry!’ he answered. ‘You’ll be fine.’ Amber put some toast into the toaster and opened the fridge. Just as she getting the butter out, the phone was rang. ‘Bad news, I’m afraid. The other player was practising yesterday when she had an accident. The match is off.’ Amber ate her toast slowly. She was suprised she didn’t feel disoppointed.
- When I was younger, I used to eat pizza almost every day!
- Did there used to be a supermarket on the corner?
- Bradley is a teacher, but he used to want to be a train driver.
- I didn’t used to like eating cabbage, but now I love it!
- Did rick use to have blond hair when he was a little boy?
- I know Lily didn’t use to cook much, but now I think she makes dinner every day.
- You should take up a sport and then you would get more exercise.
- I’m trying to work! Could you please turn your music down?
- Just ask and I’m sure the other children will let you join in.
- The referee sent David off for arguing with him.
- This is my favourite song! Turn it up!
- A mobile phone rang, but the musician just carried on playing.
- We can’t afford to eat out very often.
- I’ve decided to become a vegetarian and give up meat.
- We were waiting outside the stadium for a long time before they finally let us in.
- I’ve got that concert on DVD — it’s fantastic!
- I ran all the way home and I was just in time for my favourite programme.
- Everyone clapped when the singer came on stage.
- At the cinema, Mum sat on the right, Dad sat on the left and sat in the middle.
- Ed doesn’t want to become a professional footballer. He just does it for fun.
- What’s the name of that song you were singing earlier?
- I started to learn the piano, but I don’t think I’ve got much musical talent, to be honest.
- My dad used to be really fit and was on his college athletics team.
- When you were young, did you ever play in the street with other local children?
- Alan is studying to be an, actor, but I don’t think he’s enjoying it.
- They have a wonderful collection of old toys at the museum in town.
- My grandad loves to sail and we often go out on his boat.
- You have to practise a lot if you want to work as a musician.
Why are kittens such playful animals? They love chasing a ball or a piese of wool, and they always play in a very athletic way. But why? All of a kitten’s action when playing are, in faact, important for the future. It might look like entertainment, but the kitten is practising its hunting skills. That heroic jump onto a toy teaches the kitten a lot. Think About your own childhood and you’ll see that you learnt a lot through play.
Diana: Hello, is that Jenny? I’m bored with watching TV and I felt like a chat. What are you doing?
Jenny: Hi, Diana. Well, I’m reading a book by a Russian writer. It’s about how to become a great actor.
Diana: Really? Oh, I’m really interested in acting. Tell me about it.
Jenny: He says it takes a long time to get good at acting. To become popular with the public, you need to really understand people.
Diana: That sounds just like me! Tell me more. What else does he say?
- I’m completely crazy about skateboarding! I love it!
- In my free time I listen to music on CD or on the radio.
- Elsa Isn’t very keen on this group, but they’re one of my favourite.
- Next week we’ve got a game against a team from Hungary.
- Is that Kylie? Oh, I’m a really big fan of hers.
- I was really scared when I took part in the singing competition last year.
These days, most of us have a CD collection. Befor the CD, singers made LPs, or ‘long-playing’ records. Although many children have never seen an LP, they were once very popular. To play these records, you needed a record player with a needle that ran along the record and produced the sound. Some musicians say the sound of LPs was better than CDs — and many collections agree! LPs are no longer very popular as a form of entertainment, but many people buy and sell them. Some of them remember the LP form their childhood and listening to records reminds them of the past.
- Now, everyone knows this song, so I want you all to join in with me!
- It’s so noisy in this restaurant. Could you ask them to turn the music down.
- There was a fight during the match and the referee send two players off.
- We eat out about once a week and we cook at home the rest of the time.
- I love this song! Turn it up!
- I used to play the trumpet, but I gave up last year because I didn’t have time.
- We stopped playing because of the rain, but when it stopped we carryed on.
- A good way of getting more exercise is to take up a sport, like basketball.
- Jack really likes football and never misses a match. Jack is really crazy about football and never misses a match.
- My uncle worked on a sailing boat until he was thirty. My uncle was a sailor until he was thirty.
- Do you want to watch TV? Do you feel like you want to watch TV?
- John participated in a swimming competition last week. John took part in a swimming competition last week.
- June and I had a game of tennis. I had a game against of tennis June.
- I played chess almost every day when I was young. I used to play chess almost every day when I was young.
- Volleyball doesn’t really interest me. I’m not interested in volleyball.
- I enjoyed myself at your birthday party.
- Young children like Disneyland. Disneyland is popular with young children.
- Karen doesn’t like watching sport on TV. Karen is keen on watching sport on TV.
- When you rang, I was cleaning my bike.
- At my last basketball club, we used to train every Saturday for three hours.
- I really liked the meal we had at your house last Tuesday.
- We went to the beach every day when we were on holiday.
- I broke my leg when Tony and I were practising for the school sports day.
- Leon never talks about it, but he was once a world champion skier.
- I didn’t use to like golf, but now I really like it.
- Denise is working at the stadium until she finds a better job.
- I waited outside the tennis club for (D) a long time, but George didn’t appear.
- When you rang, I was in (F) the middle of cleaning my football boots.
- We finally got to the stadium just in (C) time to see the match start.
- I just play football for (A) fun, and I don’t want to do it as a job.
- I loved that film and when it comes out (E) in DVD, I’ll definitely get it.
- It’s great to appear on (B) stage, with all the audience clapping.
Board game-սեղանի խաղ
Classical music- դասական երաժշտություն
Folk music-ժողովուրդական երաժշտություն
My name is Edgar. Here is a short essay about myself. I consider myself to be smart, some people may even say that I am too smart, and that’s why I don’t have a lot of friends. I don’t like wasting time on useless thing. I like order and harmony in everything. One of my so-to-say unique abilities is that I don’t need a team to do things. For example, while others need at least 3 or 4 people to make a 3D game I can do it all alone. Or I can play the piano, the violin, the flute, the guitar and so on. But still, even after doing all this, my main profession is building robots. This summer I had my first big experience of building a drone. A 19-year-old guy came to Armenia and taught me how to build one. First I was even afraid, that my English is not good enough for an American drone builder. When I first meet him I was relieved because we had a translator, but soon that relief turned out to be a joke. His translation was so bad that I, so-to-say fired him. I saw that he was not a teacher, but my first American friend.
The Curse of Tutankhamun’s Tomb/read the article and try to retell.
Hometask:ex.7/b, c, page 77
start out- begin (to describe someone’s first profession)
call of- cancel
talk him into – persuade (someone)
pay off- be successful (when an effort is rewarded)
come across- find (often by accident)
pass away- die
go out- stop shining or burning
tie in with- connect with (something)
A: You know my grandmother passed away two months ago? Well, I was her house looking through some of her papers when I came across an unpaid electricity bill from 1996!
A: Well, at the exact moment I found the bill, all the lights in the house went out.
B: Now, that is strange.
The Curse of Tutankhamun’s tomb/to retell the story
ԱՌՅՈԻԾԸ, ԱՐՋԸ ԵՎ ԳԱՅԼԸ
Առյուծը, արջը և գայլը ընկերանալով, ասում են.
— Ինչո՞ւ լինենք հումակեր, բռնենք մի մարդ, որ իրենց սովորության համաձայն որսից մեզ համար կերակուր պատրաստի։
Եվ բռնելով մեկին, դարձրին իրենց խոհարար։
Մարդը սրտնեղելով, մտածեց ազատվելու մասին։ Ճեղքելով մի մեծ փայտ, յուրաքանչյուր կողմում դրեց սեպեր, և առյուծին ու մյուսներին ասաց.
— Օգնեցեք ինձ կիսելու փայտը, դրեք ձեր ձեռքերը ճեղքի մեջ և ձգեցեք:
Եվ երբ դրեցին, դուրս քաշեց սեպերը, ու գազանները մնացին բռնված։ Ապա վերցնելով կացինը, սկսեց ջարդել նրանց, ասելով.
— Սկսենք առյուծից։
The lion, the bear & the wolf
As the lion, the bear, and the wolf become friends, they said:
-Why do we need to be a row eater? Let’s catch a man to cook for us according to their custom.
And by catching one, they made him their cook.
The man was worried about being released so he broke down a large stick and placed cont on each side and said to the lion and others:
– Help me to share the wood . Put your hands in to the crack and pull it.
And when they putted their hands in he pulled up the cont, and the beasts were caught. Then he took an ax, and began to crush them by saying,
– Let’s start with the lion.